Graduation Guide 2018

How to make your move out eco-friendly

Sarah Allam | Head Illustrator

As another year at Syracuse University comes to a close, nothing seems quite as daunting as trying to pack up hectic lives into a few haphazard bags and boxes.

But there are simple tips college students can follow to keep their packing process clean and green. We shouldn’t cut corners when it comes to disposing our unwanted items in a sustainable manner.

Clothing

Last year’s styles — those winter coats you don’t need in California and all the clothes you would rather not drag home in your suitcase. They don’t have to end up in the dumpster.

“It’s important to think about where all of the items we purchase, use and ultimately dispose of end up,” said Madeline Gould, president of the Students of Sustainability group at SU.

Donate your clothes to someone who’ll make good use of them long after you’ve moved on to the latest fashion trends. And you don’t have to leave campus to make the donation. You can make a trip to the 3fifteen thrift store in Marshall Square Mall, or donate to the Ten Tons of Love program, which has several drop-off locations around campus.

“Ten Tons of Love is really beneficial in reducing our carbon footprint as well as helping those in need within our community,” Gould said.  

Food

If your pantry is still full of nonperishable food a few days before you’re ready to hit the road, don’t toss it all in the trash. A 2012 report published by the Natural Resources Defense Council found that up to 40 percent of food in the United States is never eaten. Instead of perpetuating this trend, donate your nonperishable foods to the Hendricks Chapel food pantry. Simply stop by the dean’s office in the basement of Hendricks to make your donation.

Furniture

When you’re ready to ditch that old desk, creaky bed frame or worn-out dresser, don’t send them to the curb. Besides being a hassle for your hardworking garbage crew, that old furniture will take up even more space in a landfill. Instead, crack open your trunk and bring your unwanted furniture to the nearest thrift store. Better yet, list the items on a website such as Freecycle to see if someone will take them off your hands for you. You might even make a few dollars if you list them on Craigslist.

Electronics

You might think electronics aren’t recyclable, but thankfully, that’s not the case.  Don’t stick those items in the bin because they can leak harmful toxins and heavy metals into the environment if you send them to the dump with the rest of your trash. Donate or sell what’s usable and bring the rest to a designated electronics recycling location. They’re all over the place.

Energy

Even if you’ve taken care to reduce the physical waste you produce, there’s still room to make your move out greener. To save energy while you’re getting ready to leave campus, remember to unplug your appliances, turn off all the lights, switch off your thermostat and close all windows and doors. If you’re loading the things you’re taking with you into a car, don’t leave it idling at the curb — you’ll produce unnecessary emissions. Start up the engine when you’re ready to roll, and head off knowing you’ve ended your semester in sustainable style.

Maizy Ludden is a senior biology major. Her column appears biweekly. You can reach her at mtludden@syr.edu.