Beat writers predict Syracuse to beat Middle Tennessee State in Scott Shafer’s first game back in the Carrier Dome

Todd Michaelek | Contributing Photographer

Syracuse steamrolled Central Connecticut State as Eric Dungey finished 28-for-36 with 328 yards and three touchdowns.

UPDATED: Sept. 10, 2017 at 10:40 p.m.

Syracuse started the 2017 season with a dominant 50-7 win over Central Connecticut State. The Orange will have its first real test, going up against an FBS team in Middle Tennessee State. Beat writers Joe Bloss, Sam Fortier, Matthew Gutierrez and Tomer Langer predict SU to down Middle Tennessee State and beat former head coach Scott Shafer’s defense. They explain their predictions below.

Joe Bloss (1-0)
Scotty Doesn’t Know
Syracuse 34, Middle Tennessee 20

Of the pre-LSU portion of Syracuse’s brutal schedule, this is the toughest game. Middle Tennesee State’s defensive coordinator Scott Shafer recruited several pieces of the offense he is now scheming against. He knows them well. But doesn’t know them well enough to make MTSU the better team. Eric Dungey won’t pop off like he did last week but will have a solid game. SU’s defense will get torched once and driven on a few times. The undefeated dream lives on.

Sam Fortier (1-0)
Let’s not twist it, turn it
Syracuse 37, Middle Tennessee 24

Shafer reportedly told MTSU players, “we would all be best friends for life if we beat Syracuse.” But Shafer won’t be gaining any BFFLs on Saturday. The Blue Raiders can beat Power 5 opposition — like winning at Missouri last season — but Shafer’s familiarity with the Orange isn’t enough to overcome his squad’s holes on the offensive line and in the defensive front. Syracuse has the better team and, as Shafer said in his last press conference, “Let’s not twist it, turn it.”

Matthew Gutierrez (1-0)
Raided
Syracuse 31, Middle Tennessee 17

For Syracuse, this game is important on several fronts. It’s an FBS team and a chance for the offense to match up against Shafer’s blitz-heavy defense. Mostly, it’s a good opportunity to improve to 2-0 because there’s no question Syracuse will score and Eric Dungey will put up big numbers. Let’s welcome back Shafer, the main reason many upperclassmen are at Syracuse, with open arms.

Tomer Langer (1-0)
Shootout
Syracuse 37, Middle Tennessee 30

Shafer coming back to the Carrier Dome is the prevailing storyline in this game. But the fact remains that the strength of both of these teams is the offense. Syracuse should have a bit of an easier time getting to the quarterback with the young offensive line MTSU has. Expect a big game from both slot receivers. It’s unclear exactly who on this defense is going to slow down wide receiver Richie James. On the other side, you can expect top Blue Raider corner Mike Minter Jr. to shadow Steve Ishmael all game, leaving room for Ervin Philips to torch the MTSU secondary. Home-field advantage and superior quarterback play give SU the win.