Student Association

Decision expected on Monday regarding investigation into Student Association President Eric Evangelista

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

Student Association President Eric Evangelista allegedly violated the SA constitution by failing to act on the assembly’s request to send a campus-wide email calling for applications for the public relations co-chair position.

The Student Association’s Judicial Review Board on Monday will determine whether SA President Eric Evangelista violated SA’s constitution by appointing a cabinet member without opening applications to the student body.

That decision was originally expected to come on Friday, but Vice Chair of Assembly Relations Abdulaziz Al-Sulaiti said in a text message that the JRB pushed its deadline to Monday. The decision will be made prior to SA’s assembly meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Maxwell Auditorium, Al-Sulaiti added.

Evangelista allegedly violated the SA constitution by not acting on the assembly’s request to send a campus-wide email calling for applications for the public relations co-chair position, according to a copy of the violation notice obtained by The Daily Orange. Evangelista originally appointed a student to that position without opening applications to the student body.

The violation notice states that not following through with a request made by the assembly is a “clear Constitutional violation per Article IV (4.2) which states: The President shall be responsible for executing the decisions of the Assembly.” Al-Sulaiti said following SA’s meeting on Jan. 30 that Evangelista committed a “potential constitutional violation.”

Evangelista in January nominated Nicole Sherwood, a senior public relations major, to co-chair of public relations without opening applications to the student body. At SA’s first meeting of the semester on Jan. 23, cabinet and assembly members expressed concern over the nomination process and voted unanimously to table Sherwood’s confirmation until a formal application could be distributed to the student body.

Evangelista then allegedly violated the SA constitution by ignoring the assembly’s request to send an email calling for applications a week prior to the following assembly meeting, held Jan. 30.