Falk professor appointed as human rights commissioner due to history of involvement in the community

Frankie Prijatel | Senior Staff Photographer

Bruce Carter will serve a three-year appointment during which his responsibilities include attending monthly meetings and putting together a set of bylaws that will go through redrafting.

Bruce Carter, an associate professor in Falk, has been appointed as one of 24 commissioners of human rights for the Onondaga County and the city of Syracuse.

Carter’s history of involvement with human rights issues in the area was one of the factors that made him a competitive candidate. He has served as a facilitator for community-wide dialogue programs and was involved with the founding of the first gay and lesbian youth center in town. Carter is an associate professor of child and family studies and psychology and in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

Half of the commissioners are appointed by the county executive, six are chosen by the mayor and six are elected by the county legislature, Carter said.

Carter said the Onondaga County Commission on Human Rights aims to investigate and decrease tensions and conflicts between groups of people.

“It is supposed to foster respect and understanding among different groups in the city and the county,” Carter said.

The council makes recommendations to resolve city-wide problems that will then be reviewed by legislature. If it is approved, legal changes can then be made.

Carter will serve a three-year appointment, which can be renewed. His responsibilities include attending monthly meetings and putting together a set of bylaws that will go through redrafting.

“Dr. Carter is excellently suited for this position,” said Diane Murphy, the dean of Falk, in an email. “He is very well informed, committed to social responsibility and social justice in all dimensions and a fierce advocate for human rights.”

Officials from the commission were unavailable for comment.

Carter said one of the most important issues he wants to address is unequal access to health care and education services, particularly in Syracuse’s large immigrant community.

He also highlighted the issue of racial tension in the city, specifically tension between refugees and local groups and how racial bias in police incidents has affected the local community.

Carter said he feels honored to have been made a commissioner.

“In some ways it’s a recognition of works I’ve done in the past and work I continue to do with human rights,” Carter said. “It’s also work and they’re not paying me for it, there are obligations one has. It’s an area I’m very interested in and I think it’s very important, so I am willing to spend some of my non-working time on it.”