Editorial Board

Campus groups should keep moving, despite budget cuts

/ The Daily Orange

When a student group’s funding request is denied, it’s understandable that anger and disappointment are the first responses team leaders have. But as frustrating as it is to work around budget cuts, Syracuse University students should recognize the enormity of the task that Student Association must undertake when splitting the budget.

Heading into the spring 2017 semester, SA received $1 million overall in funding requests from campus organizations. Realistically, SA only had about $635,000 to offer. Many conversations occur both behind the scenes, and between SA and group representatives, so students should understand that SA has likely made its decisions for the right reasons.

Despite the relatively large budget SA has, the finance board must disperse it among hundreds of groups. That’s the reality of being a university-funded campus organization: Resources must be shared with peers. More importantly, students have to learn how to balance a budget — whether that includes aiming high to fund expansion or being clever to make use of the hand they’ve been dealt.

When reviewing requests, SA looks at the financial breakdown of needs campus leaders present to the board. Executive board members who fear opportunities are missed with budgets cuts should know that all hope isn’t lost. If a budget and its appeal are denied, students should have the guidance of advisors to look into cost-effective alternatives for project equipment and event supplies.

Comptroller Malik Evans hasn’t disclosed many details about the budget breakdown, but will discuss the finance board’s decisions on budget appeals during this week’s SA meeting on Monday. Hopefully, if bylaws allow, Evans can shed light on the rationale behind reduced budgets for the spring semester.

Still, as students await feedback on appeals, they should understand that SA is doing its best to accommodate requests that demand more than the current budget can possibly handle.